September’s Book of the Month is Atomic Habits written by James Clear, one of the world’s leading experts on habit formation.
The Book Summarised in 3 Sentences:
Atomic Habits offers practical advice for you to continually improve and meet your goals. Author, James Clear, explores biological, neuroscientific, and psychological frameworks as well as concepts from the award-winning ‘The Power of Habits’ by Charles Duhigg to understand how habits work. These complex ideas are distilled into a simple guide of how to improve your daily life in easy steps.
The 5 Key Takeaways:
- The importance of the 1%. Clear uses mathematical formulas and visual elements to reveal how integrating small, easy to manage steps can help you create positive habits and achieve your goals.
- Pay attention to your physical environment. Atomic Habits explores how your (good or bad) habits can be influenced from the surrounding space. By making improvements or smart alterations to your physical environment, you can associate habits to specific spaces and utilise these associations to improve your mindset.
- Make time for your habits. By choosing to make your habits atomic (tiny behaviours with immense power), habits will become easier to master and make time for. Ensuring you stay consistent with your behaviours is a main component in creating positive change.
- Reshape your understanding of progress. Progress is not linear, however, by changing your habits for long term gain, progress can be seen by your overall improvements and the small achievements.
- You are not the reason for failure. If you are having trouble changing your habits, Clear explains the problem isn’t you, it’s your system. By following the latest scientific understandings of habits, readers can create systems that are geared towards success.
No matter your goals, Atomic Habits is a thought provoking book that can help to reshape the way you think about progress and success, and gives you the tools and strategies you need to transform your habits.
To submit a book for review, please fill out the contact form here.